Working mom + homeschooler = challenge. Can you say “Challenge Accepted?” Sure you can and I have the homeschool supply list for you!
One major obstacle that you may need to overcome is finding homeschool supplies that work with you and your new crazy schedule, that save you time/money and totally make life easier.
From my personal experience, when I switched from a stay at home mom to a working mom, having the right tools to help you reach your goal is a huge bonus. The basic supplies you always get such as pencils, pens, paper etc. are certainly still needed.
However, there are few things I would definitely recommend to parents that are homeschooling and working outside the home. These supplies are a way to ensure my children could continue to find a flexible, solid and tailored education at home even if I wasn’t there to watch every step.
*This post contains affiliate links thanks!
Working mom homeschooler must have supply list:
1. A printer: I know basic however I use mine more than ever now that I am away at work. I print everything out for the week/month so I need something that is fast and cost effective. We use a Brother Printer we got ages ago. It is a laser printer and the cartridges don’t cost an arm and a leg, in fact, the ink usually lasts all year!
Did you know you can save money by purchasing your ink online? Companies like TomatoInk will ship it right to your door, which is super handy for the busy mom! FREE SHIPPING on order over $50 at TomatoInk.com
2. Notebook Pages Membership: Speaking of printers… I have discovered this site for amazing note booking pages that cover all topics. I use them to bring our lessons to life. You can find Art Study, Copywork, Character Study, Famous Men & Women, Geography (state/country studies, continental maps),History of the Ancient World, Medieval, Renaissance, Reformation, and Modern Times, Music Study, Nature Study, Science, Timelines, and more! As a working mom, it is great to print and go.
3.Backpacks: Yes I get a lot of flack from public school mom’s who don’t understand why I need backpacks for my children. I mean we are home all day, right? Anyway…these have turned into a must have item and a life saver. Everything they need for a day of book work while I am at work goes into the bag. I recommend any bag that is well made with lots of pockets. I snagged this one for my son on sale, he was super excited.
4. Tablets: This item is a must have for a working outside the home mom, why you ask? You can do so much learning online now and a tablet with a wifi connection allows you to take the “School” with you wherever you go! My reason for adding these to the list is it allows the children to do school work when they are not at home. The children use them for school programs such as Easy Peasy and SchoolhouseTeachers.com. (and other online programs listed below!) They can also read books online, use learning apps, do book work and watch history videos right on the go. This was a huge plus for this working mom.
Because they can be pricey, we started out with an Acer Tablet. This was a great learning tablet and allowed us to see how beneficial a tablet would really be. Turns out they are now a need in our homeschool and I wonder how we did without them. Therefore we invested in IPad Mini’s. (and I insist we protect this investment with tablet cases. I can not tell you the times our tablets have been saved because they have a good case! #clumsykids!)
5. The Well Trained Mind-this is the book I always recommend and wouldn’t want to homeschool without. I love this book for helping me decide what curriculum to use, for ideas of how to reach my child, for encouragement and suggestions. I love the schedules it outlines. I use it each year referring again and again. (Listed as my must have top 3 items!!)
6. (Bonus!) I love to add fun things to my school supply list. This is usually some funky pencils, cute reward stickers, colorful erasers, pencil sharpeners and more! I make up a cute kit and this is used as a “no back to school” gift!Having the right #homeschool supplies makes life easier! #ihsnet Click To Tweet
Lastly, this is not considered “supplies” per say, but these programs were a huge lifesaver for me:
Online K-12 complete programs:
- Easy Peasy Homeschool -This program is free. Read how we use it here.
- Schoolhouseteachers.com -This program is a monthly subscription. Read our review here. Which programs we are using forGrade 8 & Grade 9.
- Khan Academy-This program is free. Most people think math, however, Khan Academy covers arts, computer, science and more. Worth checking out.
- Time4Learning-This program is a monthly subscription as well. It can also be used as an after school program, summer school program or skills building program.
Having the right tools for the job, along with homeschool essentials, always makes life easier. This was my homeschool supply list for the working mom. I hope you found some inspiration here, however, if you were going to add to the list, what would it be? Let me know below!